Conditions of Membership
- In order to gain access to and use Hume City Council’s libraries and all their facilities, you will need to sign your library card, and/or the library card of the child under 18 years of age for whom you are taking responsibility. This signed card will serve as a legally enforceable document to state that you have read, understood, agree with and undertake to comply with these Membership conditions and the Conditions of Use as listed on every computer and prior to accessing the WiFi facilities
- Library membership is free and open to anyone
- To become a member you are required to show appropriate identification containing name and current address (e.g. a driver licence, health care card, etc)
- If you are an applicant younger than 18 years of age you must have your membership card signed by a parent or guarantor who agrees to take physical and financial responsibility for the library materials you borrow, library equipment that you use, and/or information that you access electronically (for example via the internet). The parent and/or guarantor must also show appropriate identification, as stated above
- Children in any Hume Libraries’ facility who are under eight (8) years of age, must be accompanied and supervised by a responsible person
- Hume Libraries will collect personal information for the purpose of conducting library business only, according to Hume City Council’s Information Privacy and Health Records Policy. If you are unable to provide this information, your application will not be processed. You may access your personal information by contacting Hume Libraries
- In order to borrow library materials, the membership card must be produced
- In order to access the internet, library computers or WiFi, the membership card must be produced
- Use of membership cards is not transferrable
- Hume Libraries must be notified immediately if a membership card is lost or stolen
- A scheduled replacement fee is charged for a lost, stolen or damaged membership card
- Hume Libraries should be informed as soon as possible if you change your name and/or address. Appropriate identification with your changed name and/or address will be required
- Any number of items can be borrowed from and returned to any library within the Hume municipality. However, some restrictions may apply for some materials
- Items can be returned 24/7 through the returns chutes located at the Broadmeadows Library, the Craigieburn Library, the Sunbury Library and the Tullamarine Library
- Items returned at the Gladstone Park Community Library or the Hume Mobile Library need to be returned during library opening hours
- The usual loan period is three (3) weeks for all items including books, DVDs and magazines
- Items can be renewed twice provided they are not reserved by others
- Reservations can be made for items for loan in the library catalogue. Fees may apply to reservations filled by other library services (an ‘interlibrary loan’). Hume Libraries will notify customers by mail, telephone or email when the items are available
- Items not renewed or returned by the due date will attract an overdue fine
- Fines for items that are renewed or returned while overdue are charged at 20 cents per day per item
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended as soon as combined charges exceed $20 on any card
- The replacement charge for a lost or damaged item is the original cost of the item plus a processing charge
- Hume Libraries undertakes to keep audio-visual items in good repair. We accept no responsibility for damage to borrowers’ equipment caused by faulty item
- Any breach in these conditions may result in immediate withdrawal of membership privileges.
Approved 8 January 2013.
Conditions of Use for Accessing Public Computers and the Internet
- In order to gain access to and use Hume Libraries' and Hume City Council's public computers and wireless facilities (WiFi), you will need to sign your library card, and/or the library card of the child under 18 years of age for whom you are taking responsibility. This signed card will serve as a legally enforceable document to state that you have read, understood, agree with and will comply with the Conditions of Use as listed on every public computer and prior to accessing WiFi facilities
- Hume Libraries' public computers are for the use of library members only. You must use your own valid, current library card to gain access to the public computers
- Library card holders must comply with the Conditions of Membership
- Access to public computers and the WiFi facilities is free of charge
- Bookings on public computers can be made for a maximum of one (1) hour per person per day
- Advance bookings can be made via our automated booking system, up to one (1) week in advance
- Material displayed on any screen in any Hume City Council building must be appropriate for a public or general community setting
- Users are responsible for abiding by all copyright, censorship and other relevant laws and legislation when accessing, saving and/or printing materials
- Users must not transmit any material of an offensive or derogatory nature
- Material that you wish to keep must be saved on your own portable device. Hume Libraries does not supply portable devices such as USB drives
- Computer users are responsible for their own printing costs at all times and must pay the current charge per page
- Users are not to adjust, change or tamper with settings on computers or printers
- A maximum of two (2) people is allowed per workstation, unless indicated otherwise
- Parents, guardians or guarantors are responsible for the use of computers by people under the age of 18
- Hume City Council cannot guarantee the authority and reliability of any material accessed online. Users of this service shall not have any claim against Hume City Council arising from loss associated with damages, obligations or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of this service
- By signing your library card, or the library card of the child in your care, you have accepted, understood, agreed with and undertaken to comply with the conditions as listed in this document
- Any breach of these conditions may result in immediate withdrawal of membership privileges
Approved 8 January 2013.
Wireless Internet (WiFi) Conditions
- Free WiFi is available to customers who have their own WiFi standard equipped laptop or other wireless device at selected Hume City Council service points, including Hume Libraries branches.
- Hume City Council’s WiFi is for the use of library members only. You must use your own valid, current library card to gain access to the WiFi. Hume City Council staff will be able to assist you to login to the WiFi.
- The WiFi session is of a designated length and at the end of this time, you will be automatically logged out.
- Use of the WiFi network within Hume Libraries facilities is governed by Hume Libraries’ Conditions of Use for accessing public computers and the Internet.
Approved 8 January 2013.
Hume Libraries Conditions of Membership Jan 2013.pdf
Public Computers and Wi-fi Conditions Jan 2013.pdf