Pioneer History of Hume

It wasn't until the early 1800s that Europeans set foot in the area. The shortage of pasture-land in Van Diemen's Land demanded that pioneers look further afield, and explorers Hamilton Hume and William Hovell traversed this region during 1824 and 1825. However it was 10 years before the first settlers came to the Port Phillip District.

John Batman, hailed as a founder of what was to become the City of Melbourne, acquired 600,000 acres of land in 1835 and ventured up Sheoak Hill (now Jackson's Hill) to survey the sheltered area that today is Sunbury. He can also be credited with founding the township of Bulla Bulla (now Bulla).

Following the trail of Batman, John Pascoe Fawkner set out from Van Diemen's Land in his schooner Enterprise for Port Phillip in 1835, with William Jackson and George Evans also on board.

Fawkner made claim to a large area that would today cover the suburbs of Oak Park, Hadfield and part of Pascoe Vale - a sheep run he named Belle Vue Park. He laid the foundations of a number of suburbs in what is now Hume in his efforts to develop the land for farming and industry, as well as for housing.

Scottish pioneer Neil Campbell settled on an even larger run in the area that is now Campbellfield and Cooloroo. Campbellfield became a thriving Gaelic-speaking Scottish community centred around the first Presbyterian churches, the first being a wattle and daub hut with a shingle roof.

Meanwhile brothers Donald and Duncan Cameron Kennedy owned the land that is now Jacana, Glenroy and Broadmeadows East. Glenroy farm became a showpiece, and when land was subdivided and sold, the village of Glenroy was promoted as 'The Toorak of the North'.

 

 


Updated : 10:19 AM, 24 May 2013