Big Summer Read
Join. Borrow. Read. Win!
If you are aged 0-18, join the BIG Summer Read for your chance to WIN!
All you need to do is read and log ten books using the Beanstack app.
Register and make sure you choose Hume Libraries as your primary library.
Registrations open on 7 November 2022.
The competition starts on 1 December 2022 and closes on 31 January 2023.
What is the BIG Summer Read?
A Summer Reading Program created by Public Libraries Victoria.
Research has identified a phenomenon known as the ‘summer slide’, which refers to the loss of literacy skills over the summer holidays when children do not read—estimated on average as the equivalent of two to three months of reading proficiency. Loss of reading proficiency is most acute in children from economically disadvantaged communities. The decline in learning gains is made worse by successive COVID lockdowns.
Public libraries are in a unique and advantageous position to address the summer slide; studies have found that children who receive and read free books over summer experience the equivalent of attending three years of summer school, with the most economically disadvantaged children gaining the most from such initiatives.
BIG Summer Read Launch Parties
We’re celebrating the start of the BIG Summer Read with games, challenges, and craft activities. Join the party at your local library!
Terms and Conditions
- The Big Summer Read (BSR) competition opens on 1 December 2022 9:00am until 31 January 2023 at 5pm.
- The promoter of this competition is Hume City Council (Council).
- The competition is open to children aged between 0 and 18 years of age who live in the Municipality of Hume City Council, or are a Hume Library member.
- There will be one major prize and ten minor prize draws, with a total prize pool value of $400.
- All prize winners will be notified by 28 February 2023.
- To be eligible for BSR prize draw, each entrant must:
- Winners will be drawn at random from all eligible entries for the Big Summer Read 2022/2023 program.
- By registering a child for the Big Summer Read on Beanstack, a parent/guardian indicates they accepts these Terms and Conditions, and give permission for the entry.
- Limit of one entry per child.
- Prizes cannot be substituted for cash, transferred or otherwise exchanged. Once awarded, prizes become the property and responsibility of the respective winners. Council’s decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Every effort is made to notify participants they are prize winners, however if a winner cannot be contacted within two weeks of the draw, Council reserves the right to re-draw winner(s).
Hume City Council is collecting personal information for the purpose of registering you in the Big Summer Read (BSR) 2022–2023. This information will be used solely for this purpose and will not be disclosed to any other party except as required by law. If you do not provide this information, Council is unable to enter you in the Big Summer Read (BSR) 2022–2023. You may access this information by contacting Council on t: 9205 2200.